I’m a User Experience Designer with over 10 years of industry experience. So, according to Malcolm Gladwell’s 10,000-Hour Rule, I’m a certified expert. Twice. (Don’t worry, I did the math.) I know my stuff, but I also realize that my biggest insights are going to come from listening. That’s the key to user experience design: listening, observing, and building empathy.
My Design Principles
- Digital products are for humans. Not for robots, and definitely not for spiders.
- Listen. I mean really listen.
- Good design comes from understanding and empathy.
- Sketch, prototype, test, iterate. Rinse and repeat.
- Creativity comes from a place of playfulness — so have fun!
My goal is to help you create amazing experiences for your audience. I use human-centered design to understand your customers’ needs, all with a focus on meeting your business objectives. I’m the “bees knees” at user experience design and design strategy, but I also have a breadth of knowledge in front-end web development, and visual design.
The Types of Projects that I’m Most Interested In
It’s important to me to work on projects that I believe in, and that I see the value of. I’m an idealist, an optimist. I’m not interested in cynical schemes to make money. You’ll get the best work out of me if I’m working on something that I’m passionate about. And so, here’s a list of topics and areas that I’m most interested in:
- Bicycle Advocacy – And practically anything bike-related.
- Livable Cities – Walkable cities, green spaces, green rooftops, solar rooftops, PARKing Day.
- Urban Homesteading – Urban gardening, water catchment, vermiculture, beekeeping, composting, water conservation.
- Transportation Alternatives and Reducing Oil-Dependency – Mass transit, trains, light rail, rickshaws, things that aren’t cars.
- The Natural World – Preserving biodiversity, reducing monoculture, helping people connect with nature. Whales! Leaf cutter ants! I could go on forever…
- Art – Comics, graphic novels, illustration, public art, any kind of artwork really, but in particular, creative works that find their homes outside of galleries.
- Kids – Holy Henson is the kid inside me alive and well! I’m interested in writing/drawing books for kids, and working on apps and games for children.
- Helping People Connect — Truly – You’re sitting across from your buddy and they’re ignoring you in favor of the “social” app on their phone. This is broken. If you have an idea for a piece of technology that would actually strengthen relationships and help people feel more connected, then get in touch.
- Empowering Individuals – I love disruptive projects that move power and influence away from large corporations and stuffy institutions, towards individuals. Bottom-up, not top-down. Small family farms, not Monsanto. Food co-ops, not Wal-Mart.
Bonus: Fun Facts About Me
- I’m a retired bicycle messenger and I’m currently working on an auto-biographical comic book about being a bike messenger in New York City just after 9/11.
- I spend a lot of time with biologists and go on mushroom forays.
- Heroes: Ray Eames, Jacques Cousteau, Amelia Earheart, Buckminster Fuller, Jane Jacobs.
- Some day I will live off the grid, in a yurt, and grow my own food.
- I’ve done two huge bicycle tours: one down the East Coast, one in Thailand
- I’ve been a vegetarian for 13 years.
- My personal blog, Fixpert.com has been going since 2005 and has over 1,000 posts!